The building in which the Rijeka City Administration operates today is the former building of the City Savings Bank. The competition for its design was announced in 1912, and the construction was completed at the very beginning of the First World War, in 1914. The palace was built as a residential and commercial building.
The architectural solution of the interior is the work of brothers Messinger and Ernest Fratriscevits from Budapest, while its facade is signed by Bruno Slokovich. As an engineer from Rijeka, Slokovich was closer to the client’s expectations that the building refers to historical Italian architectural styles During the war, the palace of the City Savings Bank came into the hands of Banco di Roma. As the current headquarters of the City Government, the building is one of the visual and political highlights of the center of Rijeka.